Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Lost or Stolen Passports/Visas/I-94

Lost or Stolen Passports/Visas/I-94

AIT requires applicants to present all old passports along with a valid passport when applying for a visa.  If a passport was lost, you must provide AIT with a Certificate of Entry and Exit Dates (from 1983 to current date).  To obtain a Certificate of Entry and Exit Dates, please visit the Taiwan National Immigration Agency’s website for details.

We are aware that many lost or stolen passports are being fraudulently altered and used by persons other than the rightful owner to gain entry into the U.S. Therefore, it is necessary for this office to institute procedures preventing the misuse of U.S. visas.

If you have lost your passport with an unexpired US visa, go to the local police station and report your document(s) lost or stolen.  Do not forget to make an extra copy of the report for personal records.  To report your visa lost/stolen to AIT, please send an email to the Non-Immigrant Visa Unit at  Specifically state whether the visa was lost or stolen.  Include your full name, signature, date and place of birth, contact information in Taiwan, and a copy of the police report.  If you have a copy of the passport or visa, send it along with your report.  If you have already reported your visa lost/stolen, and then you later find your misplaced visa, please note that the visas will be invalid for future travel to the U.S, and you must apply in person at AIT for a new visa.

If you lost your passport with an unexpired US visa and wish to apply for a new visa, you must submit a new application.  Note that the previous possession of a U.S. nonimmigrant visa is no guarantee for being issued a replacement visa if your passport was lost or stolen.  Also note that the validity of a replacement visa may not be the same as that of the original visa.  The best way to avoid inconvenience caused by loss of a passport is to always protect your passport against loss or theft.

Click here for more information about lost and stolen passports, visas, and Arrival-Departure Records (Form I-94).